Built in: 1920
Bridge Length: 105'
The Grave Creek Covered Bridge is one of the few covered bridges that remain in southern Oregon. From Vancouver B.C. to the Mexican border, it is the only one visible from the I-5 freeway. Be sure to visit the Applegate Trail Interpretive Center while in Sunny Valley. It provides a first hand look into the local area, history, fabulous displays, theatre & more.
In the fall of 1846, the first emigrant train from Fort Hall, Idaho, to travel the southern route to the Willamette Valley camped on the north side of this creek, then Woodpile Creek. Martha Leland Crowley, 16 years old died of typhoid fever during this encampment and was buried 150 feet north of the creek on the east side or a white oak tree that was later removed for the present roadway, Thus the name "Grave Creek"
When James H.
Twogood laid out his land claim in the fall of
1851 and filed it on May 1st 1852, he named it
the Grave Creek Ranch in memory of that
McDonough Harkness, his partner, was the first postmaster of Josephine County in the newly named town of Leland on March 28,1855. Harkness was killed by the Indians in April 1856 while riding dispatch for the Army during the second Indian War of southern Oregon which started in October of 1855. For more information see our: Sunny Valley Page in City Profile Section.
Latitude: N42 38.17
Longitude: W123 22.66
14 miles north of Grants Pass. Exit 71 go 1/2 mile east on Sunny Valley Road next to Museum.
Add More Information!
We Can Add More Information to this page, Click Here and supply your text info and we will add it in!
SouthernOregon.com does Not provide Directions and Info by phone.
BACK TO COVERED BRIDGES
This is a general information page. All profile information on is provided to users on an "as is" and "as available" basis without warranty of any kind either express or implied. See terms page if needed.