Umpqua National Forest had its genesis on March 2, 1907, in the
setting aside of acreage in the Coast Range in Douglas County. Two
days later, Congress renamed all of the forest reserves as national
forests. The Forest Service broke up the Cascade Forest Reserve on
July 1, 1908, into what became the Mt. Hood, Willamette, Umpqua, and
Rogue River National Forests. On the Umpqua, Forest Service staff
began building trails, constructing bridges, fighting fire, monitoring
grazing, and erecting lookouts. Logging and mining began in 1925. The
Civilian Conservation Corps shaped part of the Forest by building
roads, bridges and recreation facilities in the 1930s. After the road
connecting Roseburg and Diamond Lake was completed in 1940, it took
another 25 years to become a major eastern route. With the new route
in place, logging increased in the upper reaches of the Forest. The
Umpqua National Forest currently has 54 developed campgrounds with
nearly 800 campsites, 5 historic cabins and lookouts available for
rent, 350 miles of trail maintained for year-round use, 1,150 miles of
roads maintained for car travel, and 4 staffed lookouts.
For Local Real Estate -
Lodging - Business &
on Top of
For Specific Hours & Fees to any Place
or Event above, please contact their number
or link provided.
To Add More Information
to this page,
Please Use this Free
"Add More Info Form"
supply your text info and we will add it in!
Free service for Non-Profit Organizations,
Cities, State Parks,
Public Events. For Business Listings
please use the Contact Us