Myrtle Creek is a city located in Douglas County, Oregon between
Roseburg and Canyonville. Along the Interstate 5.
It was first visited by settlers and gold seekers in the 1840's,and was originally plotted by 1893. From its founding to the present day, the area's greatest wealth has been its forests, which continue to provide rich harvests. At the timber industry's height, following World War II, there were 278 mills operating in the county. One of these mill, Umpqua Forest Products, is now the site of Horse Creek Bridge, in Millsite Park, the center of attractions in Myrtle Creek.
Another story of salvation for one of Oregon's covered bridges can be found in this 105 ft. span which now passes through Myrtle Creek at Millsite Park. The Horse Creek Covered Bridge was constructed in 1930 featuring the Howe Truss Design. The bridge was located on Horse Creek Road in the vicinity of the McKenzie River Bridge. The Horse Creek Bridge was removed for salvage by Lane County in December of 1987 and given to the City of Cottage Grove. As Cottage Grove had no intentions of reconstructing the bridge and Myrtle Creek showed and interest in doing so, Cottage Grove gave the structure to Myrtle Creek.