Southern Oregon Covered Bridges for Coos, Jackson, Josephine
Coos County Bridges
in Remote, between Coast & Roseburg. The only covered bridge in
Douglas County Covered Bridges
Located near Glide, off Hwy 138, at intersection of
Little River Road & Cavitt Creek Rd.
in near Roseburg in Canyonville, off Exit 99. To downtown
Located Myrtle Creek. Exit
I-5, Highway 99, to the Mill Site Park.
Located near Canyonville, in the community of Milo then east at
Located in Myrtle Creek. On Day's
Creek Cut-off Road to Neal Lane.
Drain, Oregon. From Highway 99, behind Drain Civic Center.
Located on Highway 138 to intersection of Sterns
Lane and Rochester Road.
Josephine County Covered
Located in Sunny Valley, 14 mi north
of Grants Pass. In Josephine County.
DON PORTER BRIDGE (built
Located near Grants Pass, On Limpy Creek. A Newer
Built Covered bridge to view.
Located off Highway 62 in
Eagle Point, at intersection of Main Street and Royal Ave.
Near Eagle Point, on Hwy 140 through Lake Creek on
South Fork Little Butte Creek Rd.
near Jacksonville to Ruch on Applegate Road for approx 8.5
Located 7 miles northeast of Rogue
River on East Evans Creek Road in Wimer.
the largest collection of covered bridges in the West and one of
the largest in the nation. Most are located in the Northern
region of Oregon. This page covers the Southern region. The
covered-bridge-building tradition in Oregon dates from the
1850s. Out of necessity, pioneers built with the materials at
hand. Douglas fir was abundant in western Oregon and well-suited
to bridge construction. To increase their useful life, houses
were constructed over the timber trusses to protect them from
the damp western Oregon climate. The heyday of covered bridge
building in Oregon occurred between 1905 and 1925 when there
were an estimated 450 covered bridges in the state. By 1977,
this number had dwindled to 56. This focuses on covered bridges
designed or built for vehicular traffic. Based on this criteria,
Oregon currently has 50 covered bridges.